The original library building, was constructed of Stony Creek granite, trimmed with Maynard freestone, and finished with a red slate roof. It was dedicated on June 18, 1890.
In 1907, Mr. Bill made an extensive addition to the building for the purpose of enlarging the main reading room and providing space for a natural history museum. The building remained unchanged from 1907 until 1994 when an addition was added to provide a spacious new reference room, offices, public restroom and handicapped access.
A source for the Stony Creek granite was discovered during the design phase of the work so the addition was designed using the original details from 1907.The addition can be seen on the left side of the building in the adjacent picture.